Sunday, December 16, 2012

Ora Cafe, Kew

One otherwise fine morning, I awoke to a decidedly indecent image of crispy pork belly on my Facebook newsfeed. Crispy pork belly at breakfast?! Really, it was sinful! I was affronted by this explicit depiction of a feast to which I had not been privy to and Ora was forever burned into my memory. 

So a few weeks later, when E invited me to breakfast with him at Ora, a little part of me relished in the satisfaction of finally being vindicated. I arrived in eager anticipation, but alas, there were no offerings of crispy pork belly on the specials board that morning. In fact, it was an unusually hectic Monday morning and the specials board hadn't even been written up - as a small business, this was totally understandable. 

In the end, I finally decided on the Walnut Eggs as I was curious about the bird's nest component of the dish. As a truly Asian-Asian, references to 'bird's nest' tend to be interpreted literally. However on this occasion, 'bird's nest' referred to strands of lightly spiced and lightly fried vermicelli made into an edible basket merely meant to resemble a bird's nest. This was filled with a refreshing salad of bright leaves and stems which enhanced the dish's poignancy. The eggs had been hard boiled to perfection and then crumbed with a spicy coating. Their yolks ran beautifully when cut and toast soldiers were provided for mopping it all up. 



Overall, I was quite pleased with my dish although I felt a little tug on the heartstrings when I looked over at the table next to us and saw that the bird's nest component of my neighbor's dish was much much more substantial than mine. Actually, who am I kidding, I experienced massive food envy and raged on the inside.




As I was paying, I couldn't tear my eyes away from the sweet temptations displayed on the counter, and bought one of the doughnuts and a cupcake. The cupcake looked fairly decent and tasted fairly decent but it was still not worth the $5 price tag. The doughnut on the other hand was pretty disappointing as the filling did not even go halfway down and I had to eat it with copious amounts of Nutella to make up for the lack of sweetness. 

Ora Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Nuffnang